6 nov 2014

ASSIGNMENT: REFLECTION AND DISCUSSION ON SOCIAL NETWORK ANALYSIS    
  
1. Outline your understanding of social network structure and main methods for social network analysis (centrality, density, and modularity)

According to my understanding, social network analysis is a kind of measurement among connections between actors (called nodes). The measurement can be made using the following analysis:
-Diameter: it measures the longest distance among actors related in the network.
-Centrality: it indicates what actor has more connections in the network.
-Density: it indicates how close the actors are to each other.
-Modularity: analysis of groups and sub-groups related to each other as well as of those who are not part of the group in the network.

2. Discus potential benefits of the use of social network analysis for the study of learning and learning contexts

In the case that my class is based on participation, one of the benefit I see projected is to understand visually who is the leader or expert in my classroom and who knows more about certain content. I could also see who is not participating in the network. In this way I may take action of what is happening and help no-participants to interact each other.

3. Describe potential applications of social network analysis for the study of learning. Reflect on the methods that could be used for data collection, steps to be taken for the analysis, potential conclusions, and possible issues (e.g., incomplete network, triangulation with other types of analysis, or ethics) that would need to be addressed in the process. 

In education I can apply social network analysis to see how my students are related each other in order to share ideas, materials, or study for an exam.
If I want to see interaction among my students considering their learning style as a point of interest, I would use modularity. The idea is to perceive whether different students’ learning style are conforming different network inside my Facebook page.
The goal to measure modularity is to take in account the groups created on Facebook to ask them to work together in a project and give to the leader (central point) the responsibility to conduct his/her group. 

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario